Addiction Counselor Internship Loan Program

This loan provides assistance for people completing work experience in a licensed addiction treatment facility under the supervision of a board-registered clinical supervisor. The internship may be paid or unpaid at a facility located in North Dakota.

You must be a U.S. citizen, participating in an internship at an eligible substance abuse treatment facility in North Dakota to obtain a license as an addiction counselor.

  • Internship means work experience in a licensed addiction treatment facility under the supervision of a clinical supervisor registered by the board.
  • The individual must be beginning the internship after June 30, 2015.
  • The Internship may be paid or unpaid.
  • The treatment facility must be located within North Dakota

The lifetime program applicant limit is $7,500. There is a minimum loan amount of $500.

Interest rate: The interest rate on outstanding loans must accrue at the Bank’s current Base Rate of 3.25%, but may not exceed an Annual Percentage Rate (APR) of 6.00%. There is no difference between the interest rate and the APR because there are no fees.

Fees: There are no fees for this loan.

BND may take all steps necessary and appropriate to preserve security.

Repayment will begin 12 months from the starting date of your internship program according to the award letter from the North Dakota Department of Human Services.

Although you are not required to make payments while you are in your internship, it is to your advantage to do so. By making payments, or by paying some of the interest, you will reduce the total amount that you have to pay throughout the life of the loan. Any interest you do not pay will be capitalized (added to your principal balance) when your loan enters repayment.

The Addiction Counselor Internship Loan is a private educational loan through the state of North Dakota and is not part of the federal student loan program. This loan is not eligible for the Federal Student Loan Consolidation Program. However, borrowers may refinance this loan with other student loans through the DEAL One or DEAL Consolidation loan programs.

To apply as a borrower or cosigner, complete the appropriate application in the “Forms” section.

If you have questions, contact us or call 701.328.5660.