You must be a resident of North Dakota in order to open a checking account. For proof of ND residency, an individual must have a North Dakota driver’s license and a physical address in North Dakota. A business must have a physical address in North Dakota and at least one signatory on the account must be a North Dakota resident.
Deposits are not accepted from individuals whom reside out of state or do not meet these criteria. Additionally, BND does not set up accounts for virtual currency, businesses related to marijuana or hemp growing/distribution and internet gambling businesses.
Federal banking laws and regulations mandate financial institutions to obtain and document the identification and other pertinent information of their customers. In order to meet these regulations, an individual must come to the Bank, located at 1200 Memorial Highway in Bismarck, to open an account.
- You will be asked to show your North Dakota driver’s license
- You may also be asked to provide proof of your address as documented on an electric bill or other type of billing
At that time, we will review the request to open an account. Account opening is subject to approved credit.
Two types of checking accounts are available.
- Regular Checking
- Minimum $200 to open the account
- Minimum balance of $200 must be maintained or a $3 fee will be imposed each statement cycle.
- NOW Checking Account
- Minimum $1,000 to open the account
- Minimum balance of $1,000
- If the minimum balance falls below $1,000 on any day of the statement cycle, BND will charge a maintenance fee of $6
- Your interest rate and annual percentage yield (APY) may change daily. Interest will be compounded monthly and will be credited to your account on your statement date every month
- Daily balance computation method: A daily periodic rate is applied to the principal in the account each day.
- Interest begins to accrue on the business day you deposit noncash items